Today we were up early to go check on Kalin, Julia’s horse who is at the pony club. We were glad to see him in his big field, his fly mask on (only one ear poking out), with shade, grass and lots of clean water (Auguste had to test the water by standing up, hooking his paws over the edge and drinking). Then we went shopping, and now we’re home, in the dark, trying to keep cool. I’m going to make this watermelon salad for Andrea’s 4th of July party tomorrow:
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 6 cups diced seedless watermelon
- 4 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- To make the balsamic reduction, add balsamic vinegar to a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil until thick and reduced, about 4-5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine watermelon, goat cheese, mint leaves and olive oil.
- Serve immediately, drizzled with balsamic reduction.