Aunt Minnie’s lemonade:
Take four lemons, wash very well (prefer organic pesticide-free lemons) cut into four pieces and put in heavy pitcher with 3/4 cups sugar. Press and crush with a wooden spoon, then add ice-cubes and water to fill pitcher.
Homemade Lemony Lemonade:
Squeeze three lemons, add the juice to 1/2 cup sugar and stir until sugar is dissolved. Add one quart water and fresh mint leaves, chopped finely. Chill.
For those with more time on their hands, here is a recipe for concentrate that you can keep in the fridge to make instant lemonade:
- Wash half a dozen lemons well.
- Cut the lemons into large wedges and remove the seeds; cook the lemon wedges for about 20 minutes in a saucepan of boiling water.
- Let cool, then liquefy in a blender.
- Strain the mixture (use a sieve or colander – it’s OK to have some texture)
- Store the lemon concentrate in a glass jar in the fridge.
- Serve by mixing some concentrate with water, sugar and a few mint leaves. If the water is not very cold, add one or two ice cubes.